Terms of Serive
1. ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS
Hello, and welcome to The Unknowable Room! Every activity on this site is subject to the following Terms of Service, which we may update at any time. We will notify you of any changes on the front page, and are not liable for failure to note a change in the TOS. Failure to adhere to the TOS will result in certain punitive action, which will be decided on a case-by-case basis according to the nature and severity of the offense. When you register an account here, you expressly agree to follow all the following terms of service.
2. DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE
The Unknowable Room, i.e. the Service, provides fanfiction readers and writers with a place to post, read, and review each other's stories and essays; to communicate with one another through forums and chat rooms; and to improve their writing through research and mentoring. Through various procedures, members can gain access to forums, chat rooms, and site-affiliated email addresses.
Site Content includes, but is not limited to, forum postings, chat room dialogues, poetry, and prose made available via the Service.
By registering an account, you expressly submit to all of the following conditions.
3. TERMS OF SERVICE
Upon registering your account, you expressly understand and agree that:
- Unknowableroom.org will moderate the Service and enforce the TOS in compliance with the law;
- Unknowableroom.org makes no guarantee that the Service will meet your requirements/desires;
- Unknowableroom makes no guarantee that the Service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free;
- You use all features of the service at your sole discretion and risk, and you alone are responsible for any computer damages or losses of data this use may incur;
- Unknowableroom.org is not liable for any damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if Unknowableroom.org has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from:
- Your use of or your inability to use the Service;
- Unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data by any third party using the Service;
- Statements or conduct of any third party using the Service.
4. REGISTERING AN ACCOUNT
You are responsible for obtaining access to the Internet for use of the Service.
In compliance with the United States Federal Trade Commission regulations regarding online privacy and protection issues for children under thirteen, Unknowableroom.org requires all users to be of at least 13 years of age, and will accordingly disallow children ages 12 and under from submitting any form of Content. When you register, you affirm that you are at least 13 years of age, and that Unknowableroom.org has the right to deny you access to the Service if you do not meet the age requirement.
5. RULES OF CONDUCT
By registering an account, you expressly agree not to:
- Use the Service to post any material that is illegal, defematory, abusive, invasive of another's privacy, or threatening, et cetera;
- Use the Service to violate any local laws;
- Use the Service to plagiarize another's work;
- Use the Service to falsely impersonate another person or entity;
- Use any part of the Service, including site-affiliated email addresses, site screen names, et. al to stalk or harass others;
- Hack into the server or otherwise interfere with the flow of information on the site;
- Post, email, or otherwise transmit any unsolicited ads, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other forms of spam or promotional materials via the Service;
- Upload another author's story without their permission;
- Submit, upload, post, or otherwise transmit any software containing viruses, trojans, or any other computer programs designed to disrupt the Service and its constituents.
You expressly understand that Unknowableroom.org does not tolerate any of the above violations, and that Unknowableroom.org has the right to suspend, remove, or otherwise terminate your account if you are found to be in violation of any of the above stated conditions.
You understand and agree that Unknowableroom.org is not liable for any Content not posted by the staff; in other words, you and only you are responsible for any messages, stories, poems, and any other form of Content that you post via the Service. As such, you and only you are responsible for any errors, omissions, or damages incurred by the Content you have submitted.
- OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT
- Unknowableroom.org makes no claim on the Content you post, and makes absolutely no profits off of your submissions. However, you grant Unknowableroom.org the royalty-free license to publicly display, reproduce, modify, adapt, and otherwise alter any Content you submit (in other words, you have no copyright on anything you post here). This license shall terminate as soon as you elect to discontinue your use of the Service.
- You may not copy, modify, reproduce, or download (other than page caching) any Content on this site without the permission of Unknowableroom.org or the author of said Content.
- You agree to use a Content disclaimer on all stories and other forms of fanfiction that you post.
- You also agree to remove any Content in violation of National and International copyright laws, and you understand that Unknowableroom.org has the right to remove any such Content and/or deny you access to the Service if you are found to be in violation of these laws.
- All fanart posted on Unknowableroom.org MUST be original. This means that no photomanipulations are allowed in the fanart section. You may still post photomanipulations in the photomanipulation forum, but they must be appropriately cited. That means that you are responsible for checking the copyright status of any and all photographs you choose to digitally manipulate and post on ur.org. You are still required to credit your photos to their photographer (if that isn't possible, then make sure to tell us which site you got them from), even if they are in the public domain.
Not familiar with copyright laws? Click here for an easy-to-read low down on the basics and make sure to familiarize yourself with the concepts of copyright and the public domain.
- CONTENT THAT VIOLATES THE TOS
You understand and agree that Unknowableroom.org has the right to remove or disband any Content in violation of the TOS. You also agree that Unknowableroom.org has the right, but not necessarily the obligation, to remove any Content you find objectionable, but does not violate the TOS.
A story that may be reported for abuse includes, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:
- Content that has been plagiarized in any way;
- Content that is obscene, libelous, slanderous, threatening, or otherwise objectionable or harmful to another party;
- Content that exceeds the story's rating;
- Necrophilia, bestiality, violent rape, sex involving a child (age 12 or younger);
- Chapters that do not contain story content (i.e. author's notes, memes, review replies, etc.);
- Improper use of English (i.e. webspeak and other such abbreviations);
- Improper formatting (such that the ability to read such a text is inhibited);
- Posting in an improper location (i.e. forum Content posted as a story)
- REPORTING ABUSE
- The reported story must violate the TOS.
- All reports are confidential; the reporter's identity will never be revealed to the public. However, the reporter may give his/her identity of he/she is willing to provide later opinions or explanations to the moderators regarding the story.
- All reports must follow the format of the form [link coming soon].
- All reports must be written in conventional English (webspeak not permitted).
- If possible, a report should be submitted in one of the official languages of the site (English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese).
- ONCE THE ABUSE REPORT IS SUBMITTED
- The author of the reported story will be notified by the moderators. The author will be able to continue posting on forums, in chatrooms, etc., but modifying/updating the fanfiction in question will be suspended.
- The author will have a period of one month to make an appeal to the moderators before their story is deleted [link to form coming soon]. Instructions for making the appeal will be included in the notification.
- If the author does not make an appeal within this time period, the story will disappear from his or her profile.
- If the author does not make an appeal within two months, the story will be permanently removed from the website. *Note: Semi-permanent suspensions and deletions will not be automatic. The moderator in charge of the case will be understanding if the author has been in a position where he or she was unable to access or respond to the notification.
- If the author re-posts the offending story (even under a different pen name) without making any changes, the re-posted story will be deleted after a five-day warning.
- FORUM, CHAT, AND OTHER CONFLICTS
All forum, chat, and other conflicts involving harassment, slander, stalking, hacking, and other objectionable behaviors shall be reported to the moderators. Cases are handled in the same fashion as offending stories and shall lead to the same punitive measures.
- REFERRAL TO THE MENTORING PROGRAM
A fic can be referred to the mentoring program for the following reasons:
- Clear and obvious plotholes;
- Convoluted, unclear writing;
- Mary Sues/blatant self-insertion;
- Other evidence that the author would improve with the assistance of a mentor.
- REFERRAL TO BETA READING
A fic can be referred to the beta reading service if it demonstrates considerable numbers of grammatical and spelling errors.
7. PUNITIVE MEASURES
Offending authors and/or site members can expect any one of the following punitive measures:
- Suggestion of a beta reader;
- Referral to the mentoring program;
- Service to the website (definitions will be provided by the moderators after hearing the case) for a fixed period of time;
- Suspension of the story;
- Suspension of the author's account;
- Deletion of the story;
- Deletion of the author's account.
If the author is not satisfied with the moderator's verdict, he or she may make an appeal (instructions for doing so will be included in the notification of the verdict).
The moderators will permanently and unconditionally ban any member who willfully sabotages the smooth running of the Service, by hacking into the server, submitting viruses/trojans/worms/spyware to the staff or other members, etcetera.
Last updated by Eos the September 15th 2006, 4am.