Schedule for the Hourglass Awards 2009:
Nominations are now closed.
Judging goes from May 31 until July 15.
Winners will be announced around the end of July.
The original Hourglass Awards were created in order to recognize and reward outstanding works of Harry Potter fanfiction from all different genres of prose. When the Awards were started, there were hardly any exclusively Harry Potter fanfiction awards sites available on the internet. Those that did exist were based on the whims of their managers--the fics that they'd heard of and enjoyed were nominated, "judged", and crowned winners. There were very little criteria for what made a good fic and how fics should be judged against each other. The Hourglass Awards were created as an alternative to this type of judging and have been in the works ever since.
The Hourglass Awards were originally MWPP-era only to stem the tidal wave of nominations, but now that they have officially found a home on UR.org, they are open to all eras of HP-fic. The Unknowable Room is proud to call the Hourglass Awards their own.
Rules for Nominations
001. It does not matter where a fic is hosted. If it is available for public viewing somewhere on the internet, it may be nominated, no matter of its choice of archive. Likewise, it may be hosted on more than one archive, but only one URL will be used to link back to the fic, decided at the discretion of the Hourglass maintainers.
002. You may only nominate stories through the application form connected through this page. All nominations sent in through e-mail, suggested over IMs, or posted elsewhere will not be accepted.
003. When you nominate a story, you must tell us what category you're nominating it under. You may only nominate a story under a single category. Sorry, you have to choose.
004. You cannot nominate your own fics.
005. The fics nominated can be from any HP-era. No type of fic is given special preference over another, but we do not do anything to "even out" the types of fics that are submitted. For that reason, there may be many more MWPP-era fics than there are trio-era. However, only the best-written fic will win. We're not biased.
006. We are looking for oustanding fics that represent the best the fandom has to offer. All nominated fics must have exceptional spelling, grammar, and punctuation. The plot must be interesting and coherent. It must be an engaging read. Don't bother nominating fics that do not meet these criteria. Our judges just don't have the time to read them!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I nominate a fic in more than one category?
What happens if a fic is nominated more than once?
Who are the judges?
How are the fics judged?
What if I disagree with a decision the judges made?
What types of awards are there?
What happens to the winners of the award categories?
If a fic was nominated last year and didn't win, can I nominate it again?
Best Het Romance Fic: Any fic prominently featuring a male/female romance.
Best Slash Romance Fic: Fics that feature slash relationships either between males or females.
Best Comedy or Parody Fic: Fics that have the main goal of making people laugh or fics that satirize common fanon clichÃ�ï¿½Ã�Â©s, other fics, or even canon itself. Fics should be very amusing, generally light-hearted and should contain ample cause for laughter. We're laughing with the fic, though--not at it.
Best Angst Fic: Fics should be very dark. These fics are different from dramas in that they are at times hopeless and without a happy ending. They should probe the darkest layers of the fandom, leaving a dark impression left on the audience.
Best Drama Fic: Fics should have their ups and downs here and be capable of leaving a feeling of timelessness and excitement on the audience. We're looking for fics that are so engaging you simply can't stop reading them.
Best Drabble or Drabble Collection: Brilliance in brevity! Fics in this category should have no more than one thousand words (per drabble, in case of a collection of them), and use every single one of them in a way that leaves the reader flabbergasted and in wonder.
Best Gen Fic: Fics that do not feature romance with prominence - character studies, usually somewhat introspective. Friendship fics may also be nominated in this category.
Best NC-17 Fic: Smut fics, featuring at least one hard-R/NC-17 scene.
Best AU Fic: Fics that take place in an Alternate Universe that does not comply with canon.
Have a question? Comment? Suggestion or piece of feedback? Why not send us an email?
Last updated by ChristyCorr the June 6th 2009, 9pm.