Neil Gaiman

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Book Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaminaCourt
Telling a Japanese Golfer Joke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Neil Gaiman Reply with quote

I know a lot of Potter fans have crossed the bridge to Neil Gaiman, or vice versa, but some people may have not! Any of his books would be a good place to start. My personal favourite is American Gods, followed closely by Neverwhere and Anansi Boys.
His writing is witty and reletively easy to read. The twists and storylines are intricate and very enjoyable.
I suggest you give him a shot :)

Often, when I am reading a good book, I stop and thank my teacher. That is, I used to, until she got an unlisted number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oy_Angelina
Being Taken to the Dursleys'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I. LOVE. NEIL.

That said (with a creepy, drooly voice), Neil Gaiman is an amazing source of story-telling wizardry. His style is filled with wit, his stories are filled with imagination, and there's even a hint of sensuality. For starters, I would recommend Neverwhere or Stardust for people interested in a straight-up adventure in fantasy or his short story collected Smoke and Mirrors if you'd rather get to know his style before commiting to a book. If you have the money, get his acclaimed comic book series The Sandman, I swear that it changed my life. You think I'm kidding?

Neil Gaiman is the reason I will become an author.

Period.
originalcracker
Becoming a Bouncing Ferret

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who got her books signed by him. *grin* I've been recced him by too many people lately to ignore it, I'm going to have to go read some of his stuff. First, I must try to find out what happened to my library card. So should I get Neverwhere or Stardust first, then?

((See that post count there? That's not all mine, it's shared with the wonderful Eddy.))

OFFICIAL HIJACK RECRUITER!

I RP James in Laze in the Sun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Oy_Angelina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd ask what you're more in the mood for. Stardust is more "traditional" fantasy because there are mystic lands, questing, magic, creatures, and so on. Neverwhere is more of a modern-day fantasy adventure where you take someone whose from our recognized world and transplant them into an unfamiliar place.

I'd say more about either, but I don't want to spoil it for you :)
originalcracker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go for Stardust then, thanks! I'm excited now.

((See that post count there? That's not all mine, it's shared with the wonderful Eddy.))

OFFICIAL HIJACK RECRUITER!

I RP James in Laze in the Sun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LaminaCourt
Telling a Japanese Golfer Joke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Courtney on all she said about Neil (except that I'm not becoming an author ;) I'll leave that to you, dear!)

I started out with Neverwhere, then headed to Stardust and American Gods. (And then Anansi Boys, Smoke and Mirrors). I've asked for Coraline for Christmas, too, because I can never find it :(
Stardust is an easier read than the rest. It's shorter and quicker to the point, I find, with less twists and such. A very nice introduction to Neil's works.

Often, when I am reading a good book, I stop and thank my teacher. That is, I used to, until she got an unlisted number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crystalline
Being Gay with Gellert Grindelwald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try them out - I have read a little of him before. My God but I love Good Omens!

Crys, inner Luna Lovegood-ing
rose_pagonias

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I LOVE Neil Gaiman. He's absolutely amazing. Sandman has to be my most favorite book of his. Perhaps it's because it deals so much with mythology (*is in love with all sorts of myths and legends*) and connects with the fact that we do need something to cling onto.

Definitely a good recommendation. :D
Aseret
Living in Privet Drive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YESSSS! I can't believe I wasn't the one to make this rec, but no matter. I'd have to agree with Oy Angelina here: Neil is the reason I want to become a writer, too. His books are funny, and sexy, and scary, and kind, and so many other things... GOD. The Sandman is unparalleled, and the Death books are excellent too. American Gods remains my favorite of his novels; I have to say that Stardust is actually the book I like least of Neil's. Smoke and Mirrors is also fantastic, and Coraline... well, if you read Coraline you will never (I say NEVER) be able to look at marbles or buttons the same way again. Scared me out of my skin, even though it's a children's book.

And no, I'm not done yet. I went to a reading/signing of his in Boston this October and it was unbelievable. The line (hours before the doors opened) twined around three blocks, and it was made up almost entirely of black-clad, tattooed goths in their mid-20's. I think I was the only one in line wearing pink (heh), but still Neil fans are great and when the doors opened I was deep in conversation with the guys behind me about Slavic mythology in American Gods. It was DIVINE. (Oh, and incidentally, the reading was in a CHURCH! We were all just like, ha, Neil is our American god...)

Everyone must read something by this man, he will change your life.

Tess
MachiavelliJr
Living Under the Stairs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know London at all Neverwhere will be a bit of a mystery to you - still good but you'll miss half the jokes. Good Omens [with Terry Pratchett] is his best IMO, though Anansi Boys is great too.

Check out my fics at: http://unknowableroom.org/profile/MachiavelliJr/fics

The Diggory Papers won an Hourglass Award (well, second place) http://unknowableroom.org/images/banners/Comedy2.jpg
Crystalline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO?

Foureyedsnail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO = In my opinion. XP

I *loved* Good Omens to death, so I'll look into some other Neil Gaiman. =D

-Juan Ramon Jimenez
Crystalline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, alright then.

ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, Neil Gaiman. *adores* I own almost everything he's ever published. Sandman is love!

(I decided to browse this forum and search for interesting old topics. Yep.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kllrs
Swirly Blue Mary Sue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read American Gods and it was absolutely brilliant.

Huffah!
nickelei
Buying Chocolate Frogs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the movie stardust. Does it come anywhere near the book?
Cause the movie was completely awesome, and my friend and I were in tears cause we were laughing so hard at points. But then again my sister really didn't find anything special about the movie. So she didn't start yelling at her friend part way through "MY GOD MR. WEASLEYS THE GOAT" . I just don't know the actors name.

I really want to read his books. It's just that my library decided that my card wouldn't work so now I can't order books online then just randomly pop in and be all I need to read. =(

[NEVILLE OBSESSED]
Crystalline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having forgotten all about this thread, I wanted to g watch Stardust. haven't gotten around to it yet, but my brother HAS just bought American Gods, so I'll be reading that soon enough.

ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Gods is genius *nods*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nancy_downs
Looking for Platform 9 and 3/4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Gods may also be my favourite Gaiman novel. The Sandman series is his most impressive work, though.
afterthree
In the TARDIS (Admin)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not read Sandman, though I have been meaning to for ever. I don't want to just go out and buy it all (it's on my Christmas list), so I'm trying to find someone to borrow it from. So far no luck. I'm seriously considering hanging out at a bookstore at lunch and reading it clandestinely. *grins*

Blessed are the cracked for they shall let in the light.
Perfect Imagination Accredited Beta (PI: 6758600424)

Cap'n of Davy Jones' Forum, the good ship Avast! First mate Mad Sharon Dagger.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Book Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Quick Reply

Jump to: