Lazy like a lackadaisical... um, laze?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Hijacking Graveyard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verbification is love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crystalline
Being Gay with Gellert Grindelwald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the irrational flexibility of the English language :D Stick a random suffix or prefix in there, and hey presto, you have a random-ass new species of a word, that is yet still understandable without an urban dictionary definition!

Crys, inner Luna Lovegood-ing
rhhgrt
Leaving to Godric's Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love the English language.
Crystalline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what's awesome (and kind of confusing) about Chinese? We don't conjugate verbs, we just stick more letters onto them.

johnmayergirl23
Visiting Hogsmeade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In English, there is no mention of the word "conjugate." The first time my French teacher told me to conjugate a verb, I was like "What?!" "You know, conjugate it: To go; I go; you go; he goes; she goes; it goes..." Me: *blankstare*

Nobody ever told me how to conjugate a verb, or what a verb chart. We just sort of do it without realizing it.

And yes, I am in love with three-quarters of the Marauders.
thirty2flavors
Making Horcruxes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah. When you pick up your native language you don't actively think about picking it up, you just kind of.... do.
WinglessFlight
*hitting self* [Mod]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing is in Latin there are like four different conjugations and I can never work out how you're meant to know...

lives by a For The Greater Good philosophy
ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy! It depends on what the ending of the word in the nominative/genitive is. I don't know, the conjugations in Portuguese/French follow more or less the same general idea, so I suppose I'm used to it.

We study Portuguese verb charts in school. Lots and lots of them. Then again, verbs in Portuguese can be a bitch (for instance, certain verbs, like 'to colour' and 'to go bankrupt,' cannot be used in the first person—as in, there is no correct verb form for the first person). It's an odd language.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crystalline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know English has its idiosyncrasies, but on the whole, I think it's a simpler language than some others. I mean, by the time I was 14, before that even, we were already studying whole texts and doing actual thing with the English language, but I have a friend who goes to a French school, and she says basically all they do is craploads of grammar. Well, I don't actually get how that can be ALL they do, because if English kids can do quite a few tenses, they as native speakers should be okay? Although we only do basic ones *shrugs*

Gulistanlik
Being the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Crys you mean 'horrified'?

hehe yeah my location is getting a little old. My signature is more than crazy enough.

Is it a Worm? Is it a Whale? No it's a ....?
Oxymoron
Kreacher (Admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get lots and lots of German grammar lessons in school here, too, even though people know how to conjugate and decline instinctively <s>more or less, at least</s>. I think it's a good thing, because that way, you learn to think about how a language works; how it is constructed. It's good to know that kind of stuff before you start learning a foreign language, it makes it much easier. I always feel a little sorry for English native speakers - there's hardly any language that has as little grammar as English, and I think that makes learning a foreign language much harder, because you have to learn a lot of new and strange stuff.

(I had a long conversation with Angel in London about this.)

Proud winner of the Kreacher Award.

"Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"
WinglessFlight
*hitting self* [Mod]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I recall.)

Crystalline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I meant horrored. Horrified = same meaning + correct term, but I definitely meant to use horrored, lol.

I don't know if it might be harder for foreign speakers learning English, because the grammar's so loose it's hard to learn it with clear decisiveness. I mean, we don't have any clear cut verb tables, but at the same time, I guess once you know the gist of it, it's not hard to pick up because I mean, all you Christys and Kerstins and Sharons speak and write English was pretty much perfect fluency, and it's not your first language.

It may just be that I don't know any other language as well as English, but I think that there aren't very many languages that can manipulate the way sentences are structured to convey a certain style, or to lend it some different connotations without changing the overall meaning on the phrase. In my Spanish/French classes, I know there are definite ways to phrase things, and any other way would just be wrong.

ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's really not hard to pick up at first, but it is pretty difficult to get much more than the gist of it—foreigners always sound like foreigners, with very few exceptions. That's just the way it is *shrugs*
WinglessFlight
*hitting self* [Mod]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post, Ms Admin.

Crystalline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shock! The horror! What wild and crazy madness! Sora did the same thing the other day :D

Whenever talking to foreign peeps, it's the hardest thing trying to hold down the urge to correct some of what they say, but that could just be mean, so I don't. How did you get so good at English, Prica Del Cima?

ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you're fast! Hmph. My computer died, and I had to look for another one to come and correct this, but you beat me to it *grins*

Well, I like it when people correct my English *shrugs* Me? Er. Lots of Friends, lots of fanfiction, lots of interatction with missionaries and lots of Runi. *laughs*
Crystalline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reckon the corrections occur often nowadays *laughs* How long has the Chruni been in business?

ChristyCorr
Evil Overlady (Admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We met in... *thinks* January 2004.
Oxymoron
Kreacher (Admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny for me that you describe English as flexible, Crys, but when I think about it, it's probably true. German is much, much more flexible than English (concerning both sentence structure and neologisms), but I guess not many other languages are.

And yes, Christy is right, learning English is easy, as long as you just want to be able to communicate. Trying to sound like a native speaker = really hard/impossible (and I'm not talking about accents or pronunciation, just the way you express yourself). But I guess that's the case for every foreign language.

Proud winner of the Kreacher Award.

"Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Hijacking Graveyard All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Quick Reply

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Privacy Policy, Terms of Service. Coding ©2005 Cine. Harry Potter © J. K. Rowling. HARRY POTTER and related are the property of J.K. Rowling and various publishers, including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books, and Warner Bros. Entertainment. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended. Unknowable Room is an unofficial, non-profit site not affiliated with afore mentioned entities.