Politics and the English Language by George Orwell

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Forum archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirty2flavors
Making Horcruxes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Politics and the English Language by George Orwell Reply with quote

I stumbled across Politics and the English Language by George Orwell, an essay he wrote in 1946 about the corruption of the English language, and while being sixty years old does leave it a bit out-dated, I thought it was a very interesting read. He brings up a lot of points about cumbersome writing, some of which I had never considered and some which drive me absolutely mad. Despite the title, I assure you it is not entirely about politics, and is quite primarily about writing well.

Anyway, I's ay it's an interesting read, even if you skim. And it's worth it for the sentence "The not unblack dog ran across the field chasing a not unsmall rabbit through the not ungreen grass."
rubytuesday
Sending a Valentine Dwarf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that last year. I have a copy somewhere in my English folder. I also wrote an essay on it, I think.

It's a really good read. Any writer should read it -- however, I have to admit that pretty much any writer I know (from myself to Orwell himself) constantly do the things he criticizes, but I suppose that is what he's trying to prove.

"Jim cannot speak until he buys me a coke. Those are the rules of Jinx, and they are unflinchingly rigid."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Forum archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Quick Reply

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Privacy Policy, Terms of Service. Coding ©2005 Cine. Harry Potter © J. K. Rowling. HARRY POTTER and related are the property of J.K. Rowling and various publishers, including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books, and Warner Bros. Entertainment. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended. Unknowable Room is an unofficial, non-profit site not affiliated with afore mentioned entities.