Warning: preg_match_all(): Null byte in regex in /home/horcrux/unknowableroom.org/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 569

Warning: preg_replace(): Null byte in regex in /home/horcrux/unknowableroom.org/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 160

Warning: preg_replace(): Null byte in regex in /home/horcrux/unknowableroom.org/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 171

Warning: preg_replace(): Null byte in regex in /home/horcrux/unknowableroom.org/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 174

Warning: preg_replace(): Null byte in regex in /home/horcrux/unknowableroom.org/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 178

Warning: preg_replace(): Null byte in regex in /home/horcrux/unknowableroom.org/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 222

CafePress Shop!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Suggestion Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musetta
Talking to a Boa Constrictor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: CafePress Shop! Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

Missy contacted me about updating the CafePress shop with some new designs and some limited edition stuff for the site's one year anniversary. She mentioned that a few members had come to the admins with ideas and so forth, so here's the place to post them!

Also, I'm totally open to anyone who actually wants to create designs themselves for the shop. Because of the sizes allowed for larger things like t-shirts and so on, I would prefer it if you sent me your graphics at the highest size possible (12" x 12" is best). My e-mail address is xserendipityx@gmail.com.

So here's the place to brainstorm for the shop - knock yourselves out! :)
refrigerator.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vamperfly
Playing with Playstation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky beanies (they're hats). Does CP have them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vamperfly
Playing with Playstation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the URL of the shop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rose_pagonias
Becoming a Bouncing Ferret

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

Mention the word ideas and I'm there.

First of all, vamperfly, the url for the shop is here: http://www.cafepress.com/771771. :)

Second of all, I thought some merchandise celebrating the anniversary of UR would be pretty awesome. It could be like a Limited Addition thing, where said merchandise would only be up during a certain amount of time (maybe a couple of days before to get people hyped?), obviously during the festivities and such.

Hmm. Oh! Here's an idea that I thought I'd just throw out there --- I think in the beginning there was some talk of using some quotes from Kali's Silly Love Songs and making merchandise surrounding them for the CafePress shop. I'm not sure what became of that, but I'm all for that idea. I think it would be pretty nifty if we could pull quotes from some of the best-loved stories around UR -- perhaps poll the members on their favorites or, now that I'm thinking about it, why not just wander over to the 'nagging' section of this forum? I'm sure there's a better way of getting members' favorite fics grouped together, but meh.

Hmm. That's all that's coming to mind right now. :)

~Lauren
thirty2flavors
Making Horcruxes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, how well has the CafePress shop done thusfar? Is it more feesible to keep what we've got and add more, or scrap some of the more unpopular sellers and replace them? Is UR making much profit off this thing anyway? Do people buy them? Question mark?

Not that I'm trying to degrade anyone's design here, but some shirts, for instance -- like the 'flocking is love' one -- are far more TGB-centric than UR centric, and perhaps (if it's economically better, anyway) we should replace some of those with more UR-related ones.

Anniversary/Halloween/wuteva stuff might be neat. Plus I just love orange and black, so you know, whatever. Haha.

To elaborate on what Lauren was saying, waaay back in the day when I was still posting Silly Love Songs on LJ, Dede was reviewing some of my chapters an remarked that ... well, I'll just get it for you.

Quote:

Eeeeeee again! (You seem to get that response out of me quite a lot.) James and his rose/thorn sayings are love. I've half a mind to ask you if we could put it on a TGB t-shirt. :)

..That's actually not a bad idea. I'll write it down and ask you about it later. When we get a larger paid-for shop, that might be interesting.

And this was, um, in 2005. The line she was referring to was “You know, you can either be angry that roses have thorns or be happy that thorns have roses.”

Like Lauren said, it's possible fic quotes or something would be a good idea. Like the dizzy eyes shirt that already exists! Of the top of my head fics like Crossroads and Commentarius have mass followings, too, but obviously authors woul have to be approached and whatnot.

<3
Kali
Beedaily
Being Petrified

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the others on this one. I think the fic-centric merchandise would sell quite a lot because it's a bit more personal, you know? Half-a-million people could ship a certain pair, but there are some stories here that are almost strictly UR--or feel like it anyway. I know *I'd* buy them, and I've got some money to spend (though by the time the stuff goes up, that may not be the case any more!). ::grins:: But I do think you’ll get a lot of support on that. You’ll just need to find out what fics everyone is interested in and what quotes specifically, but I’m sure you won’t be lacking for suggestions.

Also, why not grab some things from the Hijacking Forums? Lord knows the madness that goes about over there, but that's where most members--at least forum members--are most active. You could probably grab some pretty cool sayings from there.

And I know for certain that us over at the James Obsession thread have been dying for a t-shirt for quite sometime. There's actually a poll about it on the thread, so if you want to check that one out... ;)

Bee
missers
The Elder Wand (Admin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer a few questions --

From my looking, the only hats CafePress offers are caps and a trucker hat. =( Unless Juli knows something I don't.

Kali, I think you're completely right. We do well with some of the merchandise that we have up currently, but we haven't sold something of everything. And you make a very good point about so much of it being TGB centric versus UR centric. =) Of course, this is a major reason we're updating it. It's good to know that we're thinking the right way to please you guys.

As for the fic quotes on items, I, personally, like the idea, I know I'd buy some. :D That, however, would be up to the author(s). If you guys like this, you could start a suggestion thread for ideas and suggestions on what quotes you'd like to see. After getting an idea, we can then approach the authors for permission.

While you're all offering great ideas, what about suggestions on what the designs (and quotes) would actually look like?

I'm really anxious to see what Juli and you all are able to come up with. *grins*

missy. caffe
The Elder Wand. UR.org admin.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vamperfly
Playing with Playstation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha
Thanks Missy!

I fourth (?) the fic quoting motion.

On an entirely different subject, do you think the prices could be lowered?
I understand that UR profits from the shop; but in my opinion, spending $20-22 on t-shirts is kind of ridiculous. (No offense intended) We might get more buyers that way (and more money for the site).

<3 Ashley
Gulistanlik
Being the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeeeeeeee yay! Lots of lovely ideas. :D

Is it a Worm? Is it a Whale? No it's a ....?
Alya1989262
Getting a Smeltings Stick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Missy, for the designs, I think it would be a good idea if they reflected the site design... Personally, I love the Forums banners, so if the graphics resemble it, it would be a good incentive to buy things. =)
Also, how about reusing some of the UR icons designs? There were some really pretty things, and I bet their authors would be more than willing to let them go on UR t-shirts.
I'm more in favour of reusing old/existant UR designs than coming up with new graphics altogether...
But that's just me! *g*
<3
~Alya~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Musetta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are actually replying to this thread! *excited* I'm kind of short on time here, but I'll address what I can....

1) Fic quotes = an AMAZING idea. Eden set up a thread for quotes for CafePress merchandise, so I'll definitely be over there with some of my ideas this weekend. :D

2) Alya, I was thinking along the same lines you are with regards to updating old designs and quotes. Missy sent me the tallies for what the shop has sold so far, and the Sirius puns and squee-related things seem to be faring the best. Honestly, looking at graphics I made over a year ago makes me cringe, so I'll be updating those. :)

3) Ashley, from my experience with CafePress, you're required to charge a minimum price for each item, because they're the ones actually making the clothes and stuff, not us. So for us to make a profit we need to charge at least $3-$5 more than that. I'll haven't actually been on the site in a while, so I'll check to see if I can lower the cost any.

4) Some of the older, more TGB-related things will be deleted to make room for new stuff.

5) What exactly do you guys want on the James Obsession shirt?

6) Lauren, we already talked about limited edition anniversary stuff. :D Great minds think alike, eh? Unless you're the one who originally suggested it, in which case... I love the idea!

Okay, off to trig, I'll back back later!
refrigerator.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rose_pagonias

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

Well, before I wander over to the fic quote thread that Eden so kindly started...

James quotes!

Hee.

EDIT: I just realized, sadly, that you've probably all ready wandered over to that thread, so there's no need for me to post the quotes here. I promise you my getting into college wasn't a fluke. They didn't let me in on pity or something. Expanding on the James Obsession thing - Honestly, I think it's necessary that we should have a shirt or a mug or whatever with the quote 'James bloody Potter' on it. I've read it in so many L/J fics that, while it's cliche, it's also practically a staple. I mean -- it just has a certain ring to it, y'know? ;) Hmm. Design-wise? ... I'm pretty much useless as anything when it comes to that.

... Oh, and yes, it was me who came up with both ideas. Thanks. :)

~Lauren
thirty2flavors
Making Horcruxes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to be the party-pooper (that phrase is hilarious) here and point out that, sadly, for all those pulling for a James Potter shirt, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can't actually use the name James Potter. I could be wrong, because I am no expert in copyright laws, but profiting from something, specifically in this case a character, which you do not have the rights to is most likely very illegal. Since I'm sure UR and/or CafePress do not want to deal with lawsuits, I'm going to presume that while we can make clever allusions, the names James Potter/Harry Potter/Lily Evans/etc and their likeness/images cannot appear on shirts. At the very least, it's something someone who is more legal-term-literate would want to look into before any shirts like that went into production.

Yep. Thought I should throw that out there.

<3
Kali
rose_pagonias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kali - You're probably correct in saying that it's very illegal, which I'm sorry to say I didn't realize in the frenzy of all this, but it's exactly the same reason the Admins were hesitant in asking fanartists if we could use their HP art and print it on a t-shirt.

Psh. Copyright laws.

Which suck, but, y'know, we kind of have to have them. :/

~Lauren
Musetta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we can't really say anything outright unless it pertains directly to something we own, like our website, or a fanfic quote with the author's approval. We can, however, use James, Lily, Sirius, etc. - just not their surnames. (If you look, there are items with "Lily and James are love" on them in the shop already.)
refrigerator.]
vamperfly
Playing with Playstation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone intelligent enough will know what we're talking about anyway. XD
lilydarling
Fixing Vanishing Cabinets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're saying.
I agree.
Is there anyway we could use the name "Evans" or "Potter" and not Lily or James?

Goodbye, darling.

Love you, dearly,
Rachel
Musetta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could probably use 'Evans' or 'Potter' by themselves, yeah, but you'd have to check with someone who's more in the know about the legal ins-and-outs of this stuff than I am. I just make the graphics. :)

In other news, I have about 90% of the designs that I wanted to finish done - I'm just waiting on Missy to send me the e-mail address that the site CafePress shop is registered under so I can actually, um, log in. *Taps foot impatiently*

I kid, I kid. ;)
refrigerator.]
missers
The Elder Wand (Admin)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I'm slow! It's all good now. =)

missy. caffe
The Elder Wand. UR.org admin.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Unknowable Room Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Quick Reply

Jump to: